Date: Sunday, August 23, 10am – noon
Cap: 12 students
An Online Writing Workshop with Shaena Lambert
Every writer wants to ‘hit the open zone’ where the writing feels mysterious, rich and authentic; where writing is a deep and pleasurable part of our day; where creation comes smoothly and we are lost with the story. This 2-hour course, open to writers of all genres and all levels, explores the habits, tools and attitudes that can help us connect with our deepest writing selves.
• Develop techniques for getting yourself to the desk/coffee shop on a daily basis. Push through blocks that make us minimize writing, or don’t allow us the time for creativity.
• Successfully launch each writing session by developing your unique habits and rituals;
• Learn how long to write for, what feels right for different projects, and when to stop;
• Open yourself to your own muse, through a variety of techniques including free flow, journaling, writing longhand, ‘doodling and drifting,’ and timed writing sessions.
• Learn to create a ‘working garden’ of different projects, so that you can ‘go where the heat is’ with each writing session;
• Develop techniques to blast through writer’s block, to silence the inner critic, and to face down ‘imposter syndrome’
• Find ways to nurture your self-identity as a flourishing writer within your community.
This on-line course includes individual exercises, group discussion, and lectures. Please bring a notebook, paper and a pen.
Shaena Lambert is the author of the novel Radiance and two books of stories, Oh, My Darling and The Falling Woman–all of which were Globe and Mail best books of the year. Her new novel, Petra, is forthcoming from Random House Canada in September, 2020. Shaena has taught and mentored writers for over fifteen years, through the Writers Studio at SFU, the Hollyhock Lifelong Learning Centre, the Humber School for Writers, the Vancouver Manuscript Intensive and the Metchosin International Summer School of the Arts.https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/courting-the-muse-an-online-writing-workshop-with-shaena-lambert-tickets-112866061428